- The tiny town of Graton has another wine lover’s gem!
- Alex and Katie Bowman are the new millennials on the Graton block.
- Look for the shiny, silver, AirStream that sits off to one side of the courtyard.
- A big tasting room space with seating inside or outside.
- Out front there is a large courtyard with an area to play darts.
- Walk up the steps to the tasting room and onto a large deck/porch with more lounge seating.
- In the tasting room, Katie’s decorating style captures an Anthropology/farmhouse flair.
- Seriously though, move over Joanna Gaines of HGTV's popular show Fixer Upper, Katie Bowman has some SERIOUS decorating talent.
- Clearly, these exuberant Millennials put a unique twist to the wine tasting experience.
- $10 tasting fee, waived with purchase.
- Wine prices range from $28-$42.
- Great wines at a an affordable price point.
- Open Thursday and Friday 12:00-5:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday 11:00-6:00pm
- Monday-Wednesday appointment needed.
- I picked a Russian River Valley 2016 Chardonnay.
- 100% barrel-fermented in French and American oak with a rich, creamy texture.
- A flagship wine for Bowman.
- Bowman offers variety:
- Blanc de Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel and next month Rosé.
- Alex Bowman, winemaker and proprietor, graciously delivered a bowl of water for my pup Lexi.
- She lounged in the sunshine while I tasted.
Social Media Worthy
- No matter where you take a pic at Bowman...
- Your picture will be on trend and social media goals.
Feel Good Vibes
- To compliment your tasting, Bowman Cellars offers a menu of small plate noshes.
- My friend and I shared the Truffle Cheddar Grilled Cheese.
- We are foodies and could not rave enough about this beautifully presented and deliciously tasting sandwich.
- As we hung out at Bowman we realized just how many mutual friends we have in common.
- Katie Bowman's sister is a friend of mine.
- Our friend Andrea helps Bowman with marketing and design.
- We also both know Jackie of Jaclynn Rene Wines.
- The list of common connections went on and on.
- Katie and Alex Bowman grew up in Sonoma County.
- Family close by stepped in to help get the Bowman Cellars brand on the map.
- An aunt, brother-in-law, and sister have been valued mentors along the way.
- Katie worked for her dad who owns Andy’s Produce Market in Sebastopol.
- Alex worked for his dad who owns Bowman Electronics.
- The entrepreneurial instincts are strong and deep, 5 generations deep!
- Both Katie and Alex beam as they showcase their tasting room.
- Both of their personalities are upbeat and personable.
- You can't help smiling when in their presence.
- Wine tastes so much better with a smile on your face.
Wine Nerd Facts
- Alex Bowman, as a teenager, caught the wine making bug.
- He started making wine in the garage with Sauv Blanc grapes from the family property.
- His wine competed at the local harvest fairs and won gold at the amateur level.
- 2013 was the bust out year; a Best of Class in the white wine division sealed the deal.
- Katie had the drive, ambition, and encouragement Alex needed to start a wine business.
- These two are a powerhouse couple.
- In 2015 the first Bowman Cellars label was a reality
- In 2017 the Bowman Cellars tasting room in Graton launched.
- Wine Spectator recommended their Cabernet as having a:
- “very agreeable style...not overly tannic, but with a nice touch of oak.”
- Sales jumped and legitimized that wine.
- Currently they produce 650 cases in all and that number is going to ramp up.
- This is one of those wineries you want in on NOW.
- You want to be "in the know" while they are just getting started.
- This is one of those wineries, as a wine nerd, you can say...."I knew them when!"
Wine Club? Fun Events?
- Activities are a mainstay of this dynamite Bowman duo.
- Music events are scheduled featuring local musicians.
- Food events with guest chefs will work their magic in the winery kitchen.
- Even Yoga sessions take place on the Bowman tasting room deck.
- And why not get your wine served out of the shiney, silver “Winestream”? SO COOL!
- I follow Bowman on all social media to stay in the loop.
- While we were tasting, Katie mentioned a taco event coming up serving al Pastor!!!!
- Yes please!
- Basically, this is the type of winery I want to hang out at all the time.
Sheila's Tasting Notes
- You can always tell when I'm happy and excited.
- I can't stay still.
- I'll roam around and scope everything out.
- You'll hear constant 'oooooooooooooos' and 'ahhhhhhhhhs' coming out of me.
- When I'm really in my element I'll say over and over:
- "I just LOVE this place."
- I'll start talking about wanting to come back now before I've even left.
- That was me at Bowman.
- Total LOVE.
- I'm going to a lot of wineries for 100 Wineries In 100 Days.
- I worry that many of the tasting rooms might start blending together.
- Bowman Cellars is set apart.
- A new breed of wine tasting experience.